Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Synesthesia and Cymatics

Synesthesia
It’s hard to envision what goes on during synesthesia. It’s like looking into another world. The overlapping of sight and sound generate a 6th sensual experience. I understand why it’s a popular focus in art. I’m not sure how I would attempt to mediate such an experience to a viewer. Possibly through juxtaposition of colors with waves, to emulate sound. When reading, I thought about LSD experiences portrayed in films: montage of colors and alien-like sounds. But I’m not quite sure that those sequences are reliable examples of synesthesia, let alone acid trips.

Cymatics
The process of cymatics gives visual form to sounds, to see the unseeable. It connects to synesthesia, visualizing an auditory sensation. Before reading about Cymatics, I remember watching a video of vapor smoke forming shapes on loudspeakers.  What excites me about this is the wide range of possible methods. Vibrations react differently to certain surfaces and materials. I could use solids, liquids, or gasses to react to the vibrations. The surface area can be shaped to change reaction points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment